Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Spring, Pups, and Running the Roads...

Pups waiting for dinner



Just another typical day here in northern Michigan. Woke up to cool spring temps and witnessed a warm up throughout the day. Enjoyed the day driving two tracks in search of coyote in Alcona county. I am back working for the USDA researching the effectiveness of their use as indicator species for tuberculosis in the wild. Anyway it is a great way to spend the day in the woods in pursuit of these wily critters and all the side benefits that come with it.


Today's highlight was my first Woodcock sighting of the year (a sign spring is surely here). I am pretty sure it was a male as I watched for over 5 minutes him take his time strutting across a sandy trail I was driving. It was comical the way he walked, very slow and Egyptian like, bobbing his head as he walked forward.


Tonight as I did the kennel chores it really hit me how quick the pups are growing. When I got home from work they were all out to greet me at the gate and as I opened it to say hello they poured out and ran all over the yard. It seems they are all outgoing and still fearless in their minds. It sure is a fun time to be at DCK. Tomorrow they will be 6 weeks old and this is the last night they will have Mom (Wanda) in their company as I have been weening them slowly for the past week off her milk.


Looks to be in the mid sixties for a couple of days coming up. Sure will try to get an early start to the day to allow for a late afternoon canoe float!


"If you want to make your dreams come true you must stay awake" Keith Kirkvold"

No comments:

Post a Comment